Next to pasta, rice is one of the most popular additions to various dishes, both hot and cold. We usually add it to soups, stews and salads. We serve it with both meat and vegetables, as well as sweet. How to cook rice so that it is perfect for any type of dish? How to cook white rice?
How to make rice
More and more people, due to the numerous properties of rice, decide to add it to their daily menu. Rice can be cooked in many different ways. Everything really depends on our culinary tastes. The type of rice is also very important in this case. Otherwise we will cook rice in a bag, otherwise it will be loose rice. We can also see differences in the case of white and brown rice. It is worth reaching for different types of rice in your diet and trying to cook them in different ways. And although the first time cooking can cause minor problems, with each subsequent attempt will go better and better until we get such rice that completely satisfies our taste buds.
Cooking loose rice
- Pour the rice into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water.
- Pour water into a deep pot. Boil, then add salt and oil.
- Add rice to the boiling water. Cover the pot with a lid.
- After boiling again, reduce the gas under the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes on low heat, without mixing the rice during the process and without removing the lid. To be sure, we can follow the information on the packaging. After this time, the rice should be dry on the outside. However, some moisture should remain between the seeds.
- After cooking, leave it for about 10 minutes. We leave rice covered. After this time, gently stir it so that the remaining water evaporates.
Cooked rice is ready to eat.
Rice from the bag
Cooking rice from a bag is nothing more than following the instructions on the package. Just remove the bag and place it in lightly salted and boiling water. After the time specified on the packaging expires, remove the rice and it’s ready.
Cooking rice – the proportion of water
Depending on the rice you choose for your dish, the amount of water you use will vary. In the case of white rice, remember to keep the proportions: for 1 cup of rice should be from 1.5 to 2 glasses of water. However, if we want to cook brown rice, we must use 1 cup rice for 2 incomplete glasses of water.
Health properties of rice
Rice is rich in carbohydrates, which are the main source of energy for humans. In addition, it contains significant amounts of protein and practically does not contain fat. White rice, due to the low content of dietary fiber, is recommended for people suffering from diarrhea and people on an easily digestible diet. Rice is also a source of vitamins, mainly B vitamins, which participate in metabolic processes, condition the proper functioning of the nervous system and muscles. It is also a source of vitamin E, which has antioxidant properties. Their highest content is characteristic for whole grain rice and parabolic rice.